i want to quit smoking - My Story and How I Stopped Smoking

For over 20 years I have been a smoker , if I had a nickel for every time I told someone I want to stop smoking then I would be a rich man. My wife was also a smoker, and like me, she used to tell people : "I want to quit" Intellectually we know the danger - but somehow always seemed hazards that could affect . other . we never understood that these can affect us .

The worst moment in my life was in July 2002 . My wife was diagnosed with cancer, I met with the doctors at the hospital that day and they had told me the bad news. When I got home at lunchtime , I had to tell our two sons that their mother had terminal cancer and would die in a few weeks . This time I pursue forever. First, the tears and in tears , my daughter asked me, " Why are you smoking and Dad? "

I have no answer , but remember that they want to quit smoking - and I will.

I want to quit smoking - but my god it was hard at times when both was happening. My wife died a few weeks later, there was a lot of trying and I really felt the need to do without cigarettes for the day. I said to myself - I want to quit, and I will.

Finally , I realized that I want to say that quitting was not enough, will only happen if I did that to happen. This meant I had to take action to stop it. So I developed a plan.

That was the plan that I used:

One - I Set a date to quit ! Very simple, but effective. I moved to say I want to stop smoking, taking a last stop on a commitment by the specified date. For me, the date was January 20, 2003 . A first step to quit - When a specific date to stop you from taking a strong commitment is established.

Two - Throw your cigarettes and lighter or matches . Many people who try to stop thinking that it is good to have one or two cigarettes to give them a sense of " comfort " . This is a big mistake , shows a lack of real belief that you will succeed in stopping . Throw away your cigarettes and eliminate the temptation to have " one last cigarette" . When you throw your cigarettes can start calling a non - smoking .

Three - you are motivated with the physical evidence of the progress you make. Here is a very powerful idea that I've used. I used to spend five pounds every day on smoking . So the day I stopped , pulled out an envelope and put it in five books. The next day I took five books in it .... and so on every day. Soon I saw the money that accumulates in the envelope, and motivated me to continue. I used the money to create a fund to go on vacation to reward me . Set a goal to save enough money to quit to make you happy .

Four - Writing activities trigger constantly making you reach for a cigarette. I used to always have a cigarette with coffee - if I stopped drinking coffee and started drinking green tea instead . I also always had a cigarette as soon as I got in my car and started driving , so I bought clear mints and cigarettes replaced with mint instead.

Change all the reasons for things that go with a cigarette , and replace them with something different.

Five - when the desire is becoming very strong, go and do something to take your mind away from the thought of having a cigarette. Take a walk, read a book or magazine, call someone - just do something that distracts you from the urge to smoke a cigarette. You will be surprised how quickly desires pass - they only last a very short time .

Six - Start exercising . You do not have to try to become an Olympic athlete, but start with something as simple as walking for 15 minutes each day and gradually increase the intensity and length of your journey .

It is over six years since I left , and I've never touched a cigarette since January 20, 2003 . Once I made a final decision to how to quit smoking weed , and set a specific date by which it would become a non - smoker, so I followed the simple plan described above. What really surprised me is that it was actually much easier than I imagined .

If you are one of the many people who regularly say "I quit" , then please understand that the consequences of smoking can affect you - just as they have done for me and my children. do not wait until it's too late - the passage to say I want to make to become a non - smoking can be easier than you think .

No comments:

Post a Comment